Paper Pen

Welcome to Paper Pen!

Whether you're here to procrastinate, or here to study, we hope that you'll have a great time here. This forum is geared towards the class of 2013 at IAE, and hopefully will be helpful to the poor juniors as they trek through their hardest year of high school.<br>Thank you for being a part of this forum and helping it grow.<br>2013 GO!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Paper Pen

Welcome to Paper Pen!

Whether you're here to procrastinate, or here to study, we hope that you'll have a great time here. This forum is geared towards the class of 2013 at IAE, and hopefully will be helpful to the poor juniors as they trek through their hardest year of high school.<br>Thank you for being a part of this forum and helping it grow.<br>2013 GO!

Paper Pen

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Academy. 2013. We're so cool everyone. :)

HelloThere

2 posters

Day 14. Befitting a Lady

Sophie
    Sophie

Awesome Level : 0

Day 14.  Befitting a Lady Empty Day 14. Befitting a Lady

Post by Sophie August 4th 2011, 4:31 pm

It wasn't as if she had been expecting them to show up or anything.

It didn't matter to Laeli at all. From the start, she knew that something would have... would have caused her parents to be late.

"Laeli... it's past eleven now...you should get some sleep."
    "I'm not tired currently, you sleep first."
    "Maybe it was traffic? Or something happened at the airport."
    "Yes. They were probably held up."
    "The nurse has come in four times already to see if you were ready to sleep."
    "I'm not tired."

She had wanted so badly to know that she was still cared about.
    So badly.

"There's most likely a very good reason... But there's no point in waiting up for your parents for so long."
    "I just..."
    "If you sleep now, you'll be able to greet them with energy if they come tomorrow!"
    "Tomorrow?"
    "Yeah! If they couldn't come today, then they'll definitely be coming tomorrow!"

There was no way.
    She had thought that perhaps her father held some sentiment for her--his only daughter. But, her father was not a soft man. If she had fallen, she had fallen because she was weak. He would hold no pity. If he cancelled this visit... then it probably meant that Laeli was being given up on. She... she was just another seed that failed to grow.

"I'm... Matt, I..."
    "What's wrong?"
    "They won't come back tomorrow."
    "Eh? Why?"
    Laeli took a deep breath to calm herself.
    "I've been thrown away. That's all." Her voice was surprisingly controlled, and sounded cold even to Laeli.
    "Thrown away? Don't be ridiculous! How could someone throw away such a lov--"
    "Why am I trying so hard, Matt? Tell me."
    "D-don't cry, it's not..."
    "Why am I trying so hard to live, Matt?" Laeli looked up, the tears falling freely from her eyes. "When they've given up?"

Her frantic eyes fell on the glass of water at her bedside. Beside the glass, the nurse had carefully placed two pills, her nightly life insurance. Laeli couldn't understand why, but she felt so much hate for those small capsules at that moment. Those two pills represented all the reasons she had lost favor with the family... with her father. Her own father!

In a burst of rage, she suddenly swiped at the pills, wishing to destroy their existence. Her wild movement caused the glass to tip and fall, shattering when it came in contact with the tiled floor. The sound resounded around the room with a bang.

"What's going on here?!" The nurse ran into the room at the sound. Her eyes fell upon the Laeli, out of breath and crying. The nurse's eyes softened, "We're going to need you to calm down, Laeli."
    "I am calm." The girl took a few deep breaths, forcing herself to stop crying. Tears were unfitting to a person of her social standing. She had to be calm. Be composed. Be cold.
    The nurse kneeled down, holding on to the girl gently. "Laeli, I need you to take your pills and go to sleep now."
    "What's the point, Miss Nurse? If my father doesn't even care about my life, who am I living for?"
    "I can't answer that for you."
    "Then let me go."
    "I can't do that. Now, your pills--"
    "Please, just let me go. I'm useless here anyways."
    "Laeli, please just!"
    Laeli turned to Matt, surprised at his sudden outburst.

"What? Just what?"
    "Why can't you see how much your life is worth?" He seemed genuinely angry. "Why? When other people have to fight to survive, why are you so ready to give yours up? Do you know? Can you even understand what's its like? To fight?"
    "It's my privilege."
    "What?"
    "My privilege."
    "You... you!"
    "Let me ask you." She pushed the nurse out of the way so she could speak the words directly at her roommate. "Do you know what it's like to be targeted by your own family? Can you even begin to feel the fear of being assassinated at night? Hiding behind bodyguards? How about wearing bullet-proof shirts all the time? Hm? I... I couldn't even attend a normal school, for fear that someone would attack me there. I would think that I should at least have the right to die when I wanted to."
    "Hopelessness. Do you know that feeling? Having to know you're dying, but can't do a thing about it?" Matt's words came out in a tumble, his thoughts seemed unorganized, messy. "Of course not. You've always had money on your side, haven't you? You're nothing else then a rich pampered girl who feels the need to--"

He stopped.
    Matt looked as if he realized he had gone too far.

"...I guess you're right. I am a rich pampered girl."
    "Laeli, I..."
    "Go on, continue. What? I feel the need to do what?"
    "I went overboard. I'm sorry. I know about your family's situation and I..."
    "It's fine."
    "It's not fine! I... I just completely..."
    "I'm used to it. You're not the first to say something like that to me, you know."
    "I just didn't want you to give up!"

Laeli sighed.
    It would be a pity to die, she supposed, at that very moment. It had been nice, being in an atmosphere where she wasn't being compared to other people. She had had amusing conversations with Matt, and there were many other things she still wanted to discuss.

In addition, she even hadn't finished A Midsummer Night's Dream yet.

There were things that had to be accomplished before Laeli could allow herself to die. Giving up when the situation was bleak...

How pathetic. Needing someone to remind her that giving up was wrong... such a dependance was also not befitting to a lady.

"I see. I'll make you take responsibility then, Matt."
    "W-what?"
    "I won't give up yet. I'll live just a little bit more. For you, since you seem to care so much." She took the pills from the outstretched hands of the nurse, swallowing them deftly. "So take responsibility for this."
    "When you put it that way..." Matt's dark expression brightened, and he smiled, "of course I can't refuse."

So ended day 14.

Last edited by Sophie on August 5th 2011, 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Sophie
    Sophie

Day 14.  Befitting a Lady Empty Re: Day 14. Befitting a Lady

Post by Sophie August 4th 2011, 10:59 pm

(bump!)
    (To put this in the correct order, lolz. Dx)
    iKevinly
    iKevinly
    Smiley War
    Smiley War

Awesome Level : 2

Post by iKevinly August 5th 2011, 1:57 pm

Sophie wrote:
    Laeli turned to Matt, surprised at her sudden outburst.

Very nice chapter, Sophie! Before anything, I . . . Was surprisingly not expecting it. I was actually just thinking about how she would act with her parents showing up--and how they were like.

Ugh, that reminds me of my surprise birthday. .
    I was hoping for a day with Emma, BUT NOOOO Wayne--- OKAY. ANYWAYS,
    Back to. . ugh -_- Now I can't do this. *sigh*

Pointers, pointers:

~Change the little typo in the quote~ It confused me for a second although I would have enjoyed seeing Matt losing it.
    ~I felt as if the transition was a bit too fast again, Sophie. Laeli, as emotionally confused as she may be, did change from suicidal to wanting to live and accepting Matt quite quickly.

You don't have to change anything, I'm just saying that sometimes another paragraph between the sentences of "Laeli sighed.
    It would be a pity to die, she supposed, at that very moment." May have helped the reader feel what actually made Laeli change her mind.

Elaboration on a change of emotions is always nice, since for me--I'd love to know what changed her mind. Other than--it'd be a pity.
    Why would it? What else did she feel.

Great chapter again! It's just the switch of emotions that always get me :P Yay! Yay!
    Sophie
    Sophie

Post by Sophie August 5th 2011, 9:16 pm

GEH.
    It's too hard! I can't do it! I\'m sorry.

But I changed the words a little, does it make a bit more sense now?
    iKevinly
    iKevinly
    Smiley War
    Smiley War

Awesome Level : 2

Post by iKevinly August 5th 2011, 9:56 pm

Food. c: THERE WE GO! I know this smiley face doesn't work for it, but there we go.
    I was more so expecting an explanation, but then noticed how much better this way is.
    The fact that you let us see another side of Matt is REALLY powerful in the writing context!!
    And yes, I like how your "explanation" of how Laeli's thoughts changed was because of Matt's outburst.

It definitely feels much smoother now!
    :D Keep it up!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 1:11 pm